Air Purifying Plants
We spend most of our time indoors be it at home or office. So it is important to ensure that the air quality we breathe in is of high standard. Technology lets us achieve these goals with very complicated and high priced products which can otherwise be achieved by a few low maintenance plants. Are you aware that the most harmful air contaminants are released by products that we use daily in our homes and office.
What are the usual contaminants of air and how does it affect us?
- TRICHLOROETHYLENE: It is usually found in printing inks, paints, lacquers, varnishes, adhesives and paint removers.If humans are exposed to trichloroethylene for a short term period, symptoms include excitement, dizziness, headache, nausea and vomiting followed by drowsiness and coma if exposed for long term.
- FORMALDEHYDE: It is found in paper bags, waxed papers, facial tissues, paper towels, table napkins, particle board, plywood paneling and synthetic fabrics.Short term exposure shows symptoms like irritation to nose, mouth and throat. Long term exposure shows symptoms like swelling of larynx and lungs.
- BENZENE: It is used to make plastics, resins, synthetic fibers, rubber lubricants, dyes, detergents drugs and pesticides. It is also found in tobacco smoke, vehicle exhaust , glue, paint and furniture wax.Short term exposure shows symptoms like irritation to eyes , drowsiness, dizziness, increase in heart rate, headaches and confusion. Long term exposure may lead to unconsciousness.
- XYLENE: It is found in printing, rubber, leather and paint industries, tobacco smoke and vehicle exhaust.Short term exposure shows symptoms like irritation to the mouth and throat, dizziness, headache, confusion.Long term exposure shows symptoms like heart problems, liver and kidney damage and coma.
- AMMONIA: It is found in window cleaners, floor waxes, smelling salts and fertilizers. Short term exposure leads to symptoms like eye irritation, coughing and sore throat.According to studies conducted by NASA many indoors plants act as useful weapons to combat the above mentioned contaminants.
TOP 10 PLANTS THAT PURIFY AIR:
It is perfect for hanging basket or pedestal. It removes toxins like formaldehyde and xylene.
It loves cool environment though it requires sunlight but not direct. It strives best in humid environment so it needs regular misting. Products like GREEN DIET by URBAN GARDENS can also be used for spraying to avoid browning of leaves.
It has ribbed, glossy green leaves that produce distinct white flowers which even blooms indoors. It removes toxins like benzene carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, and xylene. It also has a high transpiration rate which is helpful for both purifying humidifying air.
They require weekly watering and slow releasing fertilizers.
It is usually known for its anti-inflammatory properties and DIY skin care hacks. It acts as a great purifier by replacing formaldehyde in the air. It can also be used for curing sun-burns.
It requires light soil and avoid frequent watering and when watered allow it to drain completely. It requires low maintenance and trust me you don’t have to worry about your plant on your vacations.
These are plants with beautiful flowers available in a variety of colors. They remove toxins like ammonia, benzene, formaldehyde and xylene. They add a hue of color to your office.
It requires frequent watering in heat as it has shallow roots.
Do you also don’t have a green thumb like me? Or do you have a bad track record when it comes to the plants like me? This plant is best for newbies. They just thrive in anywhere and everywhere. They prefer indirect sunlight.
Spider plants also send out shoots of baby spider plants called spiderettes. VOILA! New plantlets for your pots. Care must be taken to not overwater them in winters, water once a week in summers.
Having a large space in your hall and wondering how to decorate it? Areca palm are best displayed in large pots, it not only removes benzene, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, xylene but also adds instant color and freshness to your room.
Brownie points for choosing this plant as it nontoxic to your cat and dog. Make sure that it has a good, loam based potting soil and fertilize on a regular basis. Water enough to keep the root ball damp.
Do you agree with me that lively office environment increases the productivity of your employees? Ficus can grow between 2ft to 10ft and is best kept in office. It also removes formaldehyde, trichloroethylene and benzene.
It prefers bright sunlight or even direct sunlight for 3-4 hours a day. It needs to be watered regularly.
Were you ever fascinated by the large heart shaped leaf which is quite popular? It can reach up to a height of 6ft.
Keep it away from direct sunlight as it burns the leaves and stunt plant growth. It prefers medium intensity light. If it achieves more vertical growth, then pinch out the growing tips regularly to promote a bushier growth. For plants to be kept inside my house or office I will only prefer organic fertilizers so that it doesn’t has any hazardous effects like the SEA SECRET by URBAN GARDENS, which releases nutrients slowly and helps my plants live longer.
Yeah you read right you can also keep a perennial tree in your office. The lush dark green leaves remove formaldehyde, xylene, benzene, trichloroethylene.
Avoid from direct sunlight. Water in regular intervals. Though a big plant can be a bit tedious to maintain but there are many products in the market like NUTRI RICH by URBAN GARDENS which is a premium vermicompost, helps in improving soil aeration, enriches soil with beneficial microbes and helps plant achieve a luxurious growth.
These plants are easy to maintain and have been proved to remove toxins and purifies the air. It also adds to the aesthetics of your home and office. I hope to see at least few of these plants in your home at the earliest.